Our Maths leader is Mrs Whitehurst (interim)
Welcome to maths at St Swithun’s VC Primary School. We know that Maths helps children to make sense of the world around them through developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. We aim to develop their growing knowledge and understanding, and to teach them to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the history, development and application of mathematics. At St Swithun’s the foundations for a child's learning starts in EYFS, this is where the language of Maths starts and the seeds of investigation and problem solving are sown.
The government states “Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment.” (National Curriculum 2013) As a school, we develop the children to work together and respect each other’s views.
The National Curriculum states that children should:
become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practise with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
At St Swithun’s C of E VC Primary School we will make this happen by;
Delivering stimulating and enjoyable learning experiences that allow your child to achieve their full potential;
- Having a positive attitude to maths where your child feels successful;
- Work hard together on fluency with mathematical skills
- Embed mathematical reasoning and problem solving using their fundamental maths skills
- Help your child to develop mathematical understanding through systematic direct teaching of focused learning objectives;
- Encouraging the effective use of maths as a tool in a cross curriculum approach, for example in Science as well as other foundation subjects.
- Developing an ability for your child to express themselves fluently, to talk about the subject, using correct mathematical language and vocabulary;
- Teaching your child to think clearly and logically with independence of thought and flexibility of mind;
- Educating your child to develop and master mathematical skills and knowledge and quick recall of basic facts in line with the curriculum recommendations.
- Help your child to develop the key mathematical skills to enable them, at a later point, to achieve economic well-being technology, engineering, science and employment.
Our Maths curriculum includes:
- Child focused lessons which are fun and current.
- Linking Maths to the wider world – linking learning patterns and policies to the school vision as a whole
- Use high quality resources to support learning - National Centre for Excellence of Teaching Maths and White Rose Maths
- The Long term plans for maths shows a clear progression of skills from N to Year 6
- Follow a calculation policy which is shared with other schools across the town.
- Provide staff and governors with up to date information about the subject
- Build a firm foundation where children learn more and remember more and understand more.